Using their own reduser.net forum, Jarred Land has announced a new camera a few weeks ago, the so called RED Ranger. What makes it so special though, besides its look, is the fact that you won’t be able to purchase the camera and only rent it at your local RED authorized rental house (starting early February).
RED’s CEO Jarren Land explained that
“these cameras as you can imagine are pretty expensive to make in low quantities. It doesn’t really make sense unless you buy at least 10 of them. The rental houses were smart and after a discussion I had with them as a group at cinegear, this is the result.”
Its sensor, the RED Monstro 8K VV, features over 16 stops of dynamic range, it’s able to capture 16-bit RAW footage, sports a native ISO setting of 1600, and offers recording in up to 60 fps in 8K (12:1 recdcode) RAW. It’s 40.96mm wide and 21.6 millimeters tall capturing images at nearly twice the area of standard S35 sensors.
- Integrated I/O’s
- Three SDI outputs (two mirrored and one independent)
- Support for wider input voltage (11.5-32V)
- 24V & 12V power outs (two of each)
- 12V P-Tap port
- Integrated 5-pin XLR stereo audio input (line/mic/+48V selectable)
- Genlock, timecode, USB, and control
- Shimmed PL mount
- Large diameter fan provides improved thermal performance
- Available in V-Lock or Gold Mount variants